Saturday, April 16, 2005

Things I like About LA


E3 2005 017
Originally uploaded by Danny, the gaming geek.
1. There aren't a lot of pigeons and other messy birds.
2. There are barely any flies and mosquitos.
3. I didn't "hibernate" this winter like I would have in Cleveland.
4. The Long Beach Recreation Dept. has the best programs. I'm learning to sail a 14 foot Capri. I've also taken yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi classes.
5. Cantor's Deli has the leanest pastrami I've ever had.
6. I got to meet the author Ray Bradbury at a panel discussion on the 1st Amendment.
7. The Orange County Performing Arts Center attracts quality productions like Alvin Ailey, the Cleveland Philharmonic Orchestra, Eifman Ballet, etc...
8. I'm going to a taping of Real Time with Bill Maher this Friday.
9. The Hollywood Farmers Market in Fairfax.
10. The Sunday Farmers Market in Santa Monica.
11. Alex's Bar in Long Beach, CA. It's a total dive bar that has Punk Rock Karaoke about once a month with a live band that includes former members of the Circle Jerks, Catch-22, Social Distortion, etc. I also got to see Spider Stacey of the Pogues play the with Filthy Thieving Bastards.
12. Sidewalk cafes (though oddly banned in some communities like Seal Beach) are open year round.
13. Long Beach Airport and Jet Blue's low fares.
14. Proximity to Mexico, San Diego, Phoenix, San Francisco, Las Vegas, etc...
15. My dry cleaner thought I must be a doctor or a lawyer because I have my shirts laundered. Amusingly, I dress far less casually than the average Southern Californian.
16. People tend to be very courteous.
17. I met Gore Vidal at the LA Times Festival Books at UCLA, which is one of the most beautiful college campuses that I have ever seen.
18. I keep finding and they keep finding me, more old friends now living in LA.
19. The architecture of restaurant at LAX
20. The Bradbury Building
21. Angel's Flight funicular

LINK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home