Wednesday, April 13, 2005

What Big Bang?

The Big Bang, Creationism and Intelligent Design or... a geeky admission


I watched the movie "What the Bleep Do We Know!?" a few weeks ago. It was good to see that someone would make/finance a movie that is essentially a high-tech film strip for quantum physics and the chemo-anatomy of emotion.

Unfortunately, I repeatedly forgot that I was watching a movie and kept wandering off and doing other things like taking out the trash. Dancing flubber people grabbing at Maitlin's ankles, as she got drunk at a wedding (yes, same movie) weren't terribly effective at keeping me riveted to the tv screen. Which isn't to say it was a bad movie, just not a terribly scintillating one.

Oddly, what I did see of the movie managed to make me question my belief in the Big Bang Theory. Due to my wanderings, I'm not clear if this was discussed in the movie or not. At present, I've decided to believe that the universe has just always been here. I think its highly possible that we (scientists, not me personally) keep looking for the universe to have an origin because we're still operating under a universal precept of creationism. Pick a version: Judeo-Christian, Native American, Australian Aborigine, tribal African, etc. First there was basically nothing... and then something major and important happens. Who cares whether it's "god", sub-atomic fission or spontaneous combustion? We're still rehashing the same tale; we've just sanitized it for historic myth and religion.

Also... I really want to know if the biology text books the US government is distributing in Iraq only present the Theory of Evolution or if those texts, like some text books in various US states, now make mention of the Theory of Intelligent Design. Any thoughts on how to find out short of a public records request?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home