Saturday, August 05, 2006

If you must shop Key Foods in Park Slope, stick to the household products...


The Key Foods on 7th Ave. at Carroll Street has some of the slowest, most unhelpful, unknowledgeable retail clerks with math skills that could make anyone, not only inclined to support overhauling the US educational system but willing to stand in line at Key Foods to pay for it. My latest bitch about Key Foods is that I think that it transferred stock from Queens locations affected by the blackout to the 7th Ave. store. Stock, that is, that had already sat unrefrigerated in the sweltering NYC summer heat. I've long suspected that keeping expired food on the shelves is a key component of Key's profit model; so, I always pay particular attention to expiration dates when time of day and convenience draws me to its disorganized aisles. Anyway...

Two nights ago, I purchased a tub of Horizon low-fat sour cream with a mid-September expiration date. When I got home and opened it, I found a vigorous penicillin colony glowing all green and fuzzy inside. It was 11 PM and I doubted the staff's capacity to process a return. So, the sour cream, which only Alexander Flemming could want, went into the trash and the trash went out to the bin.

Key Foods? Caveat Emptor...

LINK

3 Comments:

Blogger Oberon said...

.....very nice photo.....say cheese.

8:34 PM  
Blogger MKM said...

Can't claim it as my own but thanks.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to go to C-Town on 9th street. Nice selection and always fresh. It is a bit of a walk but if you get off the subway at 7th you just need to walk about 2 blocks.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home