Monday, November 13, 2006

Confessions of a Late Adopter


I received an iPod Shuffle for Christmas last year. It sat in the box for a while because I was disappointed that I couldn't return it and upgrade to a Nano.

A few months ago, I finally dumped a bunch of songs onto it. I wasn't terribly enamored. I mostly appreciated its value as a prop for pretending not to hear street people telling me to accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior.

Then a couple weeks ago, I was stuck in the house for a few days and I got bored and started playing around with iTunes. I put together a few playlists.

It was like a mixed-tape from a friend but better... When I downloaded one onto the Shuffle, my life suddenly had a soundtrack!

My favorite playlist has a theme but it's not synchronized by beats per minute, musical genre or favorite songs - necessarily. It only contains songs that inspire a corporeal reaction. There's Paranoid (live with Randy Rhodes), Faith No More's We Care a Lot and Mountain Song by Jane's Addiction. I literally have to force myself to not toss my hair around - - - kind of a jerky Tourettes-ish almost-figure-eight head bang for Ozzie; a head down left and right swing for Faith No More and Jane's Addiction screams for that full back and forth arc that when done properly sets long hair revolving in a full circle. There's Patience by Guns N' Roses, Postcards from Paradise by Flesh for LuLu, Just Like Heaven by the Cure and Dreaming by Blondie that inspire vocalization, or at the very least a little lip-synch. Faith by George Michael, Goody Two Shoes by Adam Ant and I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow make me need to dance (and I did when I found myself alone in the elevator earlier). I'm quite certain I look like I have a neurological disorder particularly when Ballroom Blitz or She's Crafty are playing...


I'm now totally obsessed with finding MP3s of Tin Tin's Kiss Me and the theme song from the Courtship of Eddie's Father to add to that playlist.

I was pretending to be a DJ for my second favorite playlist and actually paid attention to the beats per minute. It's mostly French and Brazilian lounge but I managed to work in some Prince, Spoon and April March. April March's Chick Habit to be specific; the transition is practically a work of art...

I've developed a warm fondness for the Shuffle; I'd probably hurt myself flailing about with anything larger. Maybe this Christmas, I'll catch up with another trend and ask for a Playstation. I was always a big fan of NHL Hockey...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Cure?

9:41 AM  
Blogger MKM said...

It's got about three songs by the Cure. Plenty of Psychedelic Furs, too. And, Talk Dirty to Me by Poison! Admittedly, it would be painful to most anyone else's ears!

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can download KISS ME here.. http://www.myspace.com/steventintinduffy

3:01 PM  
Blogger MKM said...

Thanks. I can't download from myspace onto my mac but I'll try asking a friend.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home